Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 152

    Sarajevo

    August 16, 2023 in Bosnia and Herzegovina ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We started our final day in Sarajevo with a visit to the ‘Crimes against Humanity and Genocide Museum’. This is a museum which pays respect to the victims of the Yugoslavian war in the early 90s and highlights the horrible conditions people living during this time had to endure. It included many personal stories of people living and fighting during the war in cities, towns and concentration camps. It was very confronting and at times very uncomfortable, but very important to understand what Bosnia and Herzegovina had to endure during the war. Throughout the museum, various personal objects such as clothing, hats, knives, and wallets have been donated by victims of the war as well as their sad stories for all to read. Many of the stories were truly horrific and it is so sad to think that these events occurred so recently. There is also a room dedicated to receiving messages which is covered in sticky notes from visitors all around the world to spread the message of love and peace. The museum’s message is to ensure that we don’t forget what happened and learn from the past.

    After a very confronting morning, we managed to find a local Irish pub which was playing the FIFA women’s football semi final! There were 6 aussies and 1 English guy in the pub, safe to say the English guy left the pub happy after the Lionesses beat the Matildas.

    After the game, we got some čevapi (small sausages served with pita and onion) for lunch at a place recommended by the walking tour guide and it did not disappoint!

    Once we had finished comforting ourselves with čevapi, we caught a cable car up to the top of one of the mountains used during the 1984 Winter Olympics called the Trebevic Mountain. We then got to walk an abandoned bobsled track from the Olympics which was really cool! It has since been graffitied all over which makes for a very cool walk through the pine trees.

    We then went back to the hostel to chill for a bit before heading out to the same place for čevapi for dinner - yes, it was that good! We also enjoyed the čevapi and pita with cucumber and yoghurt this time. We took one final stroll around the streets of Sarajevo at nighttime and used the last of the local currency by buying some baklava before returning to the hostel for an early night ahead of an early start tomorrow.
    Read more