Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 157

    Belgrade

    August 21, 2023 in Serbia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    After our night bus, we walked with our bags through the city in the heat and we arrived to hostel around 10am. We were thankfully able to drop bags and have something to eat at the hostel.

    We are staying in ‘New Belgrade’ about a 30min walk into the centre, right along to Danube River. We decided to walk along the water into the city centre to explore the city before our room was ready.

    We visited the Nikola Tesla museum which was really interesting and we learnt about how the Serbian scientist revolutionised the uses of electricity in a very practical and in-depth manner. The tour guide showed a few experiments where we saw Tesla's alternating currents in use (such as an experiment where lightning was formed and 'light saber' type objects were held in the area and were lit up by the electricity!) The museum is also a memorial to Tesla and contains his original patents, personal items and even his ashes.

    After the museum, we walked through the main square of Belgrade, Republic Square, on the way back to our hostel.

    We chilled in our room for a bit, freshened up and then went out for dinner along the water in at a traditional family restaurant. We had cevapi in kaymak cheese and a traditional Serbian pork/vegetable stew which was absolutely delicious and very filing! We also had some lovely home made bread! We definitely appreciated the walk back to the hostel after dinner before a much needed sleep.
    Read more