Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 196

    Dubai

    September 29, 2023 in the United Arab Emirates ⋅ ☀️ 40 °C

    We continued our sleep prep to get back into Sydney time this morning with an early morning workout at the gym at the hotel followed by a leisurely breakfast (the buffet breakfast at the hotel is great!)

    We then chilled by the pool for a few hours, soaking up a few rays on our last full day of our trip!

    In the afternoon, we were picked up in a 4WD for our desert safari experience. We were driven out to the desert where we went ‘dune-bashing’ - kind of like dune buggying but with deflated tyres on a 4WD - which was lots of fun! We stopped in the middle of the desert to take some photos and do some sandboarding which was lots of fun! Daniel took a very embarrassing video of Gab flipping off her board when she was sitting sandblasting (she was totally fine - just received a mouthful of sand!)

    We then jumped back on the road (after inflating the tyres of course) and headed out to a nearby campsite for a night of food and entertainment. We started with a very brief camel ride (less than 5 minutes) - Daniel’s first time and Gab’s second - which was fun. We then tried some local Arabic sweets followed by a starter of falafel and mimosas which was very delicious.

    This was followed by entertainment throughout the night of fire twirling, a type of whirling dervish show (which also contained fire) and finished with belly dancing. Given the proximity of UAE to Turkey, it made sense that a lot of the entertainment was very similar to what we had seen a month earlier. However, the fire twirling show was incredible and we had front row seats so we got very hot!!

    In between the entertainment, we enjoyed a delicious buffet dinner which included plenty of salads, fresh hommus, curries and bbq chicken/beef.

    After the entertainment was finished, we made our way back to Dubai city straight to sleep as we have an early start in the morning for our flight home!
    Read more