Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Our Angels are working overtime

    September 6, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 91 °F

    You may recall our ambitious plans to stay fit on this trip, and our strong resolution, especially when driving long days, to keep our backs in trim with exercises and walking. I’m afraid our resolutions have fallen victim to midwestern heat and humidity. Either that or we are total wimps. But when it is pushing 100 degrees with 80% relative humidity, it’s bleepin’ HARD to exercise. I had located a gym in Onawa where we could get day passes, but we had to fall back on the Wilson Nicoll memorial, “Lord knows we tried,” when we found it was closed over Labor Day weekend.

    Today, probably just as a sop to the resolution gods, did a quick search and found a YMCA just off the freeway, just about 10 miles before our campground exit. It was still early when we arrived in Kansas City, so even though our own YMCA usually closes over Labor Day, we decided to look it up. As we pulled into the parking lot, the aforementioned Angels began singing up a storm. There were CARS in the parking lot. It was a beautiful, AIR CONDITIONED, YMCA. We grabbed our Go-Bags that Gordon had cleverly had us prepare, and we were off.

    We are now cooling down in the air conditioned trailer with chilled satsumas and a local chardonnay. The KOA office just MIGHT have hand scooped ice cream in 8 flavors in the office that is open until 9:00. Life is good.
    Read more