Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    Virginia backroads

    September 19, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    On our way to Charlottesville, we noticed that Blacksburg was right off the road. Matthew, our nephew, had gone to school there. It was supposed to be a nice town. We decided to get off at that exit and just see the place.
    Who would expect a small city to have so much traffic?? And first we had to drive through Christianburg, which was having a STREET FAIR, for which streets were closed on our route. We got turned around, driving up steep narrow streets to nowhere before we got righted. Then, as we were dodging more unexpected traffic we both began sniffing the air. OH NO … what is WITH the SKUNKS in this area!? Let me just say, once again, Rest in Peace. We didn’t do it. But we were boxed in and we couldn’t avoid adding insult to injury. Fortunately the odor did not cling.
    We drove by Virginia Tech, but it dissappeared in a hurry, and all of a sudden, there was no more town! Heather pulled out the map, scowled and scoured the fine print, and said, “For sooth! A scenic drive there be but mere meters from here!” Gordon rolled his eyes, and said, “Great! Let’s GO!”
    It was truly a scenic drive, narrow, rough, rolling hills, and actually plenty of scenery, not just trees. The photos don’t do it justice … all the good ones were blurred. But we KNEW it had been a scenic drive when, at the end of the day, we opened the trailer and it was a DISASTER! Think Lucy and her trailer ride when she collected rocks. Bins all over. Socks on the floor. Open the food cupboard and it all came tumbling out. We fear the raisins are lost forever in the Raisin Bran. At least we couldn’t find any … probably the bottom third is raisins.
    But it was a glorious ride and we’re glad we took it.
    Read more