Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    French Quarter

    October 24, 2015 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 75 °F

    We had planned on taking the FREE shuttle from the KOA to the French Quarter, but both Heather and Gordon had misgivings about the wisdom of this "Free" transportation. We both felt that it might be free, but we were concerned that they might issue hand baskets when we stepped onto the shuttle, and we would never be able to get off, stuck in purgatory until they came to pick us up.

    So we asked the nice lady with the finger nails what the best route into town was and where to park. With that in hand, off we went in our trusty car.

    We very much enjoyed our drive along the levee, passing through the Garden District, Warehouse district and Central Business District along the way.

    Once in the French Quarter, I was so glad that we were there in the morning, before it got crowded, because it was already crowded. Lots and lots of people: tourists, locals, bums, and street musicians, and probably a few ghosts as well.

    We had a better time wandering through French Quarter than we had anticipated. Even though there were more people than we were used to, Heather expanded her energy aura and Gordon was a rock in a river. Much of the district evoked memories of other places: patios, cool and sheltered, reached by alleys or covered walkways were reminiscent of Jakarta; narrow streets with narrow sidewalks seemed to come straight from Rome; the crowds reminded me of New Delhi.
    Read more