Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    The Mob Strikes

    November 16, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    We didn't JUST come to Las Vegas for the weather, Whole Foods and the parking lot camping. I had been doing some research and found two museums we had completely missed when here last year: the very interesting sounding Neon Museum (a graveyard of collected neon signs from Las Vegas through the years) and the Mob Museum. Today was the day we planned to see them both.

    When we got around to actually PLANNING our day, it was about noon (we ARE retired, after all). We found out that the Neon Museum was closing at 2:00 for a private event. And what the heck?? We couldn't just browse the signs, we had to take an hour-long TOUR. "Oh well," we said. This might be the Wilson Nicoll memorial always-leave-something-for-next-time event (we're still waiting to go back to Frontier town, DAAAAD). Fine. On to the Mob Museum, which was the one we really were interested in.

    Well. After checking out the museum a little more thoroughly on the web, we decided that they were really aiming to give you an authentic feel for the Mob experience, as their prices were EXTORTIONATE. We were feeling a little cheap (we are, after all, RETIRED). We began discussing alternatives.

    In the end, we had a delightful and ECONOMICAL afternoon. The car wash had FREE vacuuming and our car rugs really needed it! Then we went to the THRIFTY Ice Cream shop (as opposed to Baskin and Robbers) for a reasonably priced but delicious sweet treat. Finally, we hopped over to the cinema in the casino complex next to the parking lot, I mean campground, to see Jack Reacher. All for less than ONE admission to the Mob Museum. Wilson Nicoll, would be proud.
    Read more