Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Shootout at the OK corral

    November 26, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    We had no idea what to expect at the performance of the “Shoot-out at the OK Corral”.

    Heather thought that the performance would present a history lesson punctuated by a reenactment of the shootout. Gordon thought that there might be more than just a bunch of guys walking out, counting to 10 and then shooting each other, but could not imagine what it might be.

    What it turned out to be was more in the style of a early 20th century melodrama, lacking only a Mary Pickford tied to the train tracks. The acting was large and expansive to impart emotion (and to make up for not being able to hear everything that was said). The audience was encouraged to cheer the good guys (we were told that the good guys wore ties), and boo the bad guys (who wore dirty old clothes). Gordon embraced this audience participation fully, and looks forward to bringing this form of honest and forthright display of encouragement to his next local theater group performance. Heather did not display the same enthusiasm as Gordon. Perhaps it was because she had thought it was childish, or that the acting skill was lacking, or that the all the children (including Gordon) where entirely too loud in there booing.

    The performance was done all too soon, the dead scattered on the dirt before us. I would have cheered more and called for an encore, but I was afraid that the shooting of Gordon “Mad Dog” Sweet would have been the encore. Heather was applauding too, but I fear that it was because she was so happy that the performance was over.

    So with a tear in my eye, we fled the stands and headed back to our car.
    Read more