Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Vindicated!

    February 11, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    Before leaving Olympia, we had pinned many hopes on the over-55 community in Bluffton, South Carolina. Great shopping and interesting cities 30-45 minutes away. But we fell in love with NE Florida and the Ponte Vedra community.

    We finally made it to the Bluffton area today and are happy to report, we believe we did not make a mistake. Though the town of Bluffton was cute, it was by turns touristy and down at the heels. The over-55 community was HUGE and, we fear, prone to the same feeling of isolation we saw in the large Texas community. As brother-in-law John warned us, there was a LOT of traffic, and we couldn't even see where it was going! The nearest community on Hilton Head Island seemed either for golf lovers or tourists.

    We availed ourselves of the Whole Foods Market and got out of town as quickly as we could. We MIGHT have stopped at a nice ice cream shop to help with the trauma of it all.

    This is Gordon... After the last time I got stung by a bee and swelled up to twice my size, I am a bit sensitive about them. The last photo of the church does not show the swarm of bees near the peak of the roof. Just looking at the bees sent chills down my spine. I realize that I must have a phobia about them.
    Read more