Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Plan B…

    September 17, 2021 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    Well, we chose to go to Scotts Bluff, NE to spend two nights. There was a campground that looked ok, and it was only a 2.5 hour drive. But we got there, after driving for half a mile on a dirt road. It was dusty, barren, and all together unappealing. The bathrooms were locked, so I could not check them out and the campground hosts were gone. Heather checked the reviews, something we should have done earlier. There were a fair number of 5 star reviews, all sounding like shills, and a 2 star review from not too long ago talking about dirty showers and wifi that only worked within 50 feet of the host’s rv trailer.

    We decided that while waiting for the hosts to return, we would go to restaurant that Heather had found earlier. The food was good, Heather had a salad and I had a flat bread with chicken, pesto, and some other stuff. Unfortunately we forgot to take a picture.

    We decided that neither one of us wanted to stay at that campground. We check the KOAs in Colorado, all were still full. We looked at some places in the Black Hills and decided that The Hot Springs KOA looked good.

    On the drive there we passed a very dramatic forest fire, complete with helicopters carrying water buckets to douse the fire. The wind was blowing from the south and it is a bit smokey in the KOA, but it seems to be clearing. the campground is beautiful with loads of pine trees.
    Read more