Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 67

    Into the heart of Cambodia, Phnom Penh

    August 31, 2018 in Cambodia ⋅ 32 °C

    We arrived in Phnom Penh! It took two flights, a short Visa on Arrival process, a traffic jammed taxi ride, and we have made it to our guesthouse.
    The first day we had breakfast on the rooftop, which had an aerial view of Phnom Penh. After breakfast, we hailed down a Tuk-Tuk and visited the central market. From there we toured Wat Phnom, a Buddhist Temple near the Tonle Sap River. Fun fact, Phnom in Khmer means ‘Hill.’ Wat Phnom is said to be the founding ground of Phnom Penh, after a wealthly woman called Penh had the man-made hill and the temple built in honour of Buddha. Besides visiting those places , we had a nice time walking through the city looking for coffee shops and Khmer cuisine.
    The second day we took a Tuk-Tuk to the Cambodia Post, the government mail service of Cambodia. Funny enough, we walked by it the other day, but didn’t even know. Oh well, that happens! We bought a ticket for our upcoming trip to Battambang. From there we visited the royal palace, which in comparison to Bangkok’s, it wasn’t as busy. In the evening, Justin went on the hunt for food; the streets were so quiet and dark that it created an eerie atmosphere! But that didn’t stop him from finding a lone vendor and with the help from a local, he ordered a delicious sandwich.
    While we thought it was a good first impression of Cambodia, Phnom Penh wasn’t our favorite stop on our journey.
    Read more