Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Kyoto, Japan

    October 13, 2018 in Japan ⋅ 21 °C

    An hour on the local train took us from Osaka to Kyoto!
    After exiting Kyoto station we headed to where we thought our guesthouse was located. Google maps does not work in Japan, or at least the offline version, so we used another app and got a little lost! But we found it! We found our tent accommodation. We didn’t have a chance to try out a pod hotel, so this is the next quirkiest accommodation we could find!
    After checking in, we went for a walk around the neighborhood and went up Kyoto tower, which gave us a birds-eye view of the city.  From up there, we saw the main city temples in Kyoto and decided to check them out. The first was Higashihonganji temple, followed by Koshoji temple and Nishi-Hongan-ji and the famous Kara-mon gate. Finally, with our pleading, beating legs, we reached Toji temple, before heading back to our hostel and tenting with others in a small room!
    We extended our Japanese creature and animal photo collection by taking pictures of the awesome, little monsters posted by companies, bus stops, train stops and parking lots. The next day, we walked across a bridge into a mountainside district with many temples, and saw women and men wearing kimonos. We ate sushi (of course!) and egg sandwich! And a variety of other treats, we had roll cakes, puff pastries, coated strawberries and really whatever was at the corner store. 
    Read more