Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 137

    World Wonder Chichén-Itzá, Yucatan

    November 9, 2018 in Mexico ⋅ 30 °C

    Our bus from Playa del Carmen has arrived at Chichen Itza, right in the parking lot. After buying tickets, we went into the hot, humid temple grounds and were immediately swamped with countless trinkets dancing in-front of our face. Jaguar sounds, hammocks, obsidian knives, replica temple souvenirs and more! 
    Chichen Itza was built by the Mayans during the Terminal Classic Period and is located in the Yucatan State of Mexico. Fun fact: After visiting the Mayan World Museum, we learned that the Yucatan Region is believed to be where the crater hit that wiped out almost all species, including the dinosaurs! They even narrowed the crater site down to a town in the Yucatan, called Chicxulub. Now we know the immense history of Yucatan, lets look at how old Chichen Itza is! It is said to have been used for almost 600 years straight starting in the year of 600 AD. The temple was beautiful, and we spent the afternoon taking lots of photos and walking the grounds. Having interest in the Mayan sport game, we were astounded at the area in which the games were held, and the stone opening that was used as a goal. Crazy fact, apparently the team captain from the losing team was sacrificed to the gods. Another favourite section of ours was a square-shaped stone surface covered with skulls on the facade of the stone. 
    During our two day stay, we went to the Ik-Kill Cenote twice, and were amazed at the freshwater sinkhole. The hanging vines and fresh water were spectacular, and descending down the stairs, felt like an Indiana Jones movie.
    Read more