Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Future of the Fjords, Undredal, Norway

    August 6, 2021 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    today i was sittig at the aurlandsfjord and suddenly a catamaran approached - it was *really* weird because it made NO noise. it was the "future of the fjords", a new 40m long and 15m wide, all-electric sightseeing catamaran built by brødrene aa for norwegian marine transportation company. it can accommodate up to 400 tourists and became operational in may 2018. the vessel was built using lightweight carbon-fibre composite materials to reduce energy consumption, as well as the power and battery capacities. the hull and superstructures feature lightweight carbon sandwich laminates, resulting in approximately 50% weight reduction. the catamaran design also reduces waves and washes on the exposed shores of the narrow fjords.
    the catamaran vessel is powered by two electric motors driving propellers through two gearboxes. each electric motor is able to generate a power output of 450kW at 1,180rpm. the compact propeller has a diameter of 1,475mm, while the diameter of the propeller shaft is approximately 100mm. The propulsion system reduces noise and vibrations, NOx and CO₂ emissions while improving fuel efficiency. the advanced charging station is capable of charging the batteries with approximately 800kWh of power during the 20-minute docking period. the propulsion system enables the vessel to sail at a cruise speed of 16k.
    ❤️❤️❤️ NORWAY ROCKS ❤️❤️❤️
    Read more