Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Seliunte, Sicily, Italy

    October 8, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    today i visited celery city... 🥬🥬🥬
    the ancient greek city seliunte was named after σέλινο (sélino) which means celery. in the marshy lowlands of the river selinus, there were large celery stands, which were naming for the city and the river. even the coat of arms of the city was dedicated to celery and contained the tip of a celery... so for all vegetarians this might be the place to be...
    selinunt was founded in the 7th century bc by doric greek and existed around 400 years. it was famous for the fertile soils on which a particularly good wheat grew, so the city quickly gained great wealth, which manifested particularly in the numerous large temple buildings. hannibal destroyed it 409 bc after nine days of siege for still inexplicable reasons. no idea what kind of problem he had with seliunte... maybe a girl?!?
    but back to the location.... one of the temples in the acropolis has an interesting flooring: the bull head 🐂 of the god baal is incorporated into the floor with white mosaic stones. the rest is more or less what you already know about greek temple 🏛️ 😜. the terrain is spacious in a beautiful location on the coast (no shade) so in august, the visit might probably be a torture ...
    Read more