Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Ortigia, Siracusa, Sicily, Italy

    October 12, 2021 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    i spent 10 days here in ortigia three years ago and rented an apartment with a backyard in one of the most beautiful streets through airbnb. in the morning i strolled through the small alleys to the "solarium" in my dressing gown. these are places between the cliffs that can be reached by stairs and from which you can swim. in the evening i enjoyed aperitifs in the sunset by the sea. so ortigia is not just something for a day trip like today.
    now a little more about the place: ortigia is the name of a small island off the east coast of sicily, which forms the historical center of the city of siracusa and is only separated from the mainland by a passage a few meters wide. it covers an area of ​​almost one square kilometer and has around 4,500 inhabitants. in the second half of the 20th century, the resident population began to move away from the island, accompanied by an increase in crime and some decline. however, a number of urban projects succeeded in re-urbanization through restoration work and the establishment of tourist infrastructures such as hotels and a museum. ortigia has been a listed building since 1976 by a law of the sicilian regional assembly.
    in short: it's worth a trip.
    Read more