Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Chalikouna Beach

    April 7, 2023 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Today we went through the mountains and small mountain villages, which was much fun with our truck 🤣.

    It was a wonderful journey and I really love the mountain villages of Corfu with their partly dilapidated charm.

    Our goal was the Chalikouna beach, which separates Korission Lagoon from the mediterranean sea.

    Korission Lagoon is located near the village of Agios Mattheos. It has a surface area of 427 ha and it drains into the sea through a channel which bisects Chalikouna Beach.

    The lagoon was created by the sand dunes that cut the lake's basin off from the sea between 140,000 and 250,000 years ago.

    The lagoon and its environs are protected by the Natura 2000 treaty, the protected area includes the nearby coastal areas, an unusual forest of prickly juniper Juniperus phoenicea, which is known as cedar, in addition to many sand dunes which reach heights in excess of 15 metres. The lagoon has over 126 species of birds thus it's a great spot for hikes and nature watching.

    The beach is a very peaceful and natural beach during this season and also a great opportunity for a hike and a picnic break.

    So if you are around here: give it a try!
    Read more