Satellit
Vis på kort
  • Dag 6

    Café Jelinek

    5. september 2023, Østrig ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Since I wasn't ready to have a coffee at the arrogant snooties in the Haus des Meeres, I went around the corner to Café Jelinek.

    It is also located in Vienna's 6th district Mariahilf in Otto-Bauer-Gasse and has been part of the "Vienna Coffee House" UNESCO intangible cultural heritage since 2013. It takes its name from a Jewish coffee house family who opened the café in 1910.

    The Viennese coffee house is a typical institution of Vienna that played an important part in shaping Viennese culture.

    Coffee Houses entice with a wide variety of coffee drinks, international newspapers, and pastry creations. Typical for Viennese Coffee Houses are marble tabletops, Thonet chairs, newspaper tables and interior design details in the style of Historicism.

    The Austrian writer Stefan Zweig described the Viennese Coffee House as an institution of a special kind, "actually a sort of democratic club, open to everyone for the price of a cheap cup of coffee, where every guest can sit for hours with this little offering, to talk, write, play cards, receive post, and above all consume an unlimited number of newspapers and journals."
    Læs mere