Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Enna in the rain

    February 10 in Italy ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    Today was a rainy and very windy day, so we decided to take a longer jaunt inland. I've been to Sicily a few times but I've never stopped in Enna. So far I've only driven past it. Today was the day.

    At 931 m above sea level, Enna is the highest Italian provincial capital.

    Enna, known from the Middle Ages until 1926 as Castrogiovanni (Sicilian: Castrugiuvanni), is a city located roughly at the center of Sicily. Towering above the surrounding countryside, it has earned the nicknames belvedere (panoramic viewpoint) and ombelico ("navel") of Sicily.

    The ancient city was placed on the level summit of a gigantic hill, surrounded on all sides with precipitous cliffs almost wholly inaccessible. The few paths were easily defended, and the city was abundantly supplied with water which gushes from the face of the rocks on all sides. With a plain or tableland of about 5 kilometres in circumference on the summit, it formed one of the strongest natural fortresses in the world.

    It was restored as provincial capital in the 1920s. In 2002 it became a university city. The citizens of the city have a high incidence of multiple sclerosis (MS). MS is also prevalent in Sardinia, which has the second highest incidence in the Mediterranean basin.

    It's a nice city but nothing special 🙄 but a nice drive through the island. But truely speaking: I definitely did not like the rain ☔🙄.
    Read more