Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Day 3-Viscarret

    September 5, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 79 °F

    Since we had a short walk today (8.5 miles of gentle decent) we slept in and started walking at 10am. We brought part of our breakfast to snack on later because they gave us so much. For 5€, we each had two pieces of toast, a croissant, ham and cheese, yogurt, banana, coffee and freshly squeezed oj. I won't even tell you about the three course gluttony last night. I did say I was going to eat my way through Spain.

    Our walk today took us through an enchanted forest and a couple of cute towns (Burgete and Espinal). We saw a couple people we knew and met a lady from Vienna that made a stamp for pilgrims' credentials. I was the first to get a stamp from her. She said she was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it until now.

    We arrived in Viscarret hungry and stopped at Bar Juan, one of two restaurants in this hamlet. The ladies were quite dour and stonefaced but after I asked the elder what Patxaran tastes like, she started talking to us and brought us a complimentary shot. It's anise flavored but mild and mixed with some spices.

    Now we're just waiting for feeding time. It smells really good.
    Read more