Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    Day 18-Hornillos del Camino

    September 23, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 63 °F

    What a lovely day! It was cold this morning so we didn't start walking until after 9am. It was sunny and there was little shade, but a constant cool breeze made it enjoyable.

    We stopped for coffee in Tardajos and I ended up sparking a lively conversation about tortilla de patatas among four local women. It wasn't the usual "with or without onions" debate. It got into "not everyone makes good tortilla", to the right type of potato to use, to how to beat the eggs properly. We found Tardajos to be an extremely friendly town. Several older gentlemen stopped us to talk as we walked through town.

    As we were walking down the hill into Hornillos, we heard explosions and saw smoke in the air. We were hoping it wasn't another Civil War. When we checked in, we found out that there was a wedding in the plaza (we could hear the music) and they were responsible for the fireworks. We tried to crash the wedding but we were woefully underdressed. But not as underdressed as the German guy wandering the street in his boxers!

    We chatted and dined with a Hungarian lady who started her Camino today in Burgos. 13 years ago she walked St. Jean to Burgos. We also dined with a couple we've been with since Quintanilla. We seem to stay at the same places. They recently moved from California to Georgia.

    We ended up walking 14.5 miles today. Tomorrow might be slightly shorter.
    Read more