Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Day 33-Camponaraya

    October 10, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 82 °F

    13 miles today of flat, mostly sidewalk. We are 3/4 of the way done. It's hard to believe.

    We had a lovely breakfast served by our Brazilian hosts and we purposely didn't overeat, even though they kept offering more food.

    On the way to the next town, Ponferrada, a lady we've seen for the last two days told us about a Roman fountain up ahead. Her husband started walking two hours earlier and told her about it. It was a little scary walking down the steps to it because they just kept going and going and getting darker. We thought for sure we were being fed to the lions. We started joking that it's not everyday you see a Roman fountain or cross a Roman bridge, but walking the Camino you kinda do.

    We toured the Templar Knight's castle in Ponferrada. It looks just like the castles from our fairy tales. It was surreal seeing it in person and the thought behind the construction...an exit stairway to a well that draws water from the river.

    Our place tonight is an albergue and restaurant. The restaurant is closed today and there are only five of us staying here. Pat and I are currently the only ones sitting in the huge garden. The restaurant must be alot of fun when it's open.
    Read more