Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Day 3 The night is full of terror

    September 3, 2021 in South Africa ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    After the elephant cow incident we were all rattled.

    But the hike goes on.... big was our distress when we realized that there was a herd of elephant digging water where we wanted to erect our tents.

    The only thing to do was to wait. 90min later we were rushing to dig for water, erect our tents, make food and clean.

    At sunset a lonely hyena appeared....and then four. As it was getting dark we had a double whammy. The elephants decided to come back for more water. Elephants on the left and hyenas getting closer from the right.

    By the time we were asked by the rangers to go into our tents, no lights and be quiet the hyenas where visible with our headlamps less than 25m away.

    There is nothing as scary to be in a dark tent listening to Africa's wildlife meters away. The only defense being a few layers of plastic and we hope the animals age-old fear of the A-preditor being in town.

    Something kept on upsetting the elephants and they were moving loudly about with the occasional trumpet... and then we heard it .... Lions in the riverbed🤯

    By 0030 the Lions pushed everything away - no hyena and no elephant. The night turned silent and finally peace returned.

    It was hugs all around as the sun rised for the last day 😁
    Read more