Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    The Road to Thunder Bay

    August 3, 2022 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Did the 700km trip to Thunder bay.

    Had an unexpected surprise.

    White River is the birthplace of Winnie-the-Pooh. The original bear that inspired the story

    "You can't stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes."


    "On August 24, 1914 Lieutenant Harry Colebourn, V.S.,of the Fort Garry Horse and Canadian Army Veterinary Corps, purchased a black bear cub at WHITE RIVER, Ontario, while enroute overseas. He named her WINNIE after his hometown, Winnipeg. WINNIE became the soldier's mascot, and was left in the care of the London Zoo on December 9th, 1914, while Lieutenant Coleburn served in France. In 1919, he gave her to the zoo for permanent keeping where she was watched and loved by many, including author A.A. Milne and his son Christopher.
    In 1926, A.A. Milne and illustrator E.H. Shepard gave the fictional character WINNIE-THE-POOH to Christopher and the world for posterity. WINNIE entertained visitors to the London Zoo for almost 20 years, and lives on in the hearts of children of all ages."

    How inspiring and how sad – Winnie inspired A.A. Milne and he created a character who inspired generations. But Winnie never saw its home town of White River again.  

    Thank you Winnie for not staying in your corner of the Forest…..

    Then had a pinic lunch at one of the Ontario lakes.

    Long day started ay 0800 done driving by 1830
    Read more