Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Across the border into the USA

    September 7, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Life 2.0: “You’ll always miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.”

    It is day 45 of the Canadian Traverse and we have travelled almost 11 000 km’s since we left Montreal in the east. We hiked Canada's western border - the Pacific Rim, and we are now travelling back to Toronto. Once you leave the Rockies the vast prairies await. We enjoined driving through Saskatchewan and Alberta on our way West, but do we want to see it again?

    To the south the United States was lurking. The road to Toronto via Chicago was a bit shorter, cheaper fuel prices, faster highways, and a new adventure. The two humans in the pack were relaxed - our US visas were valid, but the third member of the pack was stressed. Roga has all his vaccines and international papers, but will the US border watchmen allow him in?

    Why the stress?

    Any border crossing comes with a risk - The US homeland security is well known for flagging individuals and even revoking Visa’s. You have to get it right.

    Should we take the chance?

    You could feel the tension in the 300km journey that started 0630 from Calgary. We have checked, rechecked, packed, repacked and again rechecked. The next minute we are in the queue at the border post and there is no turning back….

    Twenty minutes later we are driving down the US highway. All our stress forgotten and Roga has entered the land of the free and the home of the brave. Our planning, paperwork and hard work paid off.

    Should we take these chances?

    It all depends on the effort and work you put in upfront. Erwin Rommel, the famous Desert Fox, knows more about the art of taking a chance than most:

    “A risk is a chance you take; if it fails you can recover. A gamble is a chance taken; if it fails, recovery is impossible."

    We started this morning at 0630 in Calgary with our quest to get over the border into the USA. This is important for two reasons

    1. For Roga to hunt Pheasant with me in Nov
    2. Our plans post Nov

    The plan was to use today as a test and get an understanding of what we miss for an actual crossing.

    All good and we entered the USA just after 1100... a big relief. The nicest guys at the border post. Had a long chat and they helped us to cross the t's

    We then started the trek across Montana

    Harsh country....

    803km and 11 hours of driving 🤦‍♂️

    Tonight we are on Glasgow 2500km to go.
    Read more