Satellite
Show on map
  • Ready for the Camino del Norte!

    May 16, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Hello again, Friends and Family!

    We weren’t home very long after last year’s Camino before John started asking me, “Aren’t there other caminos besides the Frances?” So we started looking at maps and descriptions. We settled on the Le Puy route in France, ending in the Pyrenees, and started making plans. But we soon realized both of us just wanted to be back in Spain — to walk into a little town and see those welcoming red and green plastic chairs in front of the local bar, to rest our weary bones and have a coffee and chocolate croissant, or a fresh orange juice, where we’d hear “Buen Camino!” many times a day, enjoy Spanish food and hospitality... and of course, to walk again into Santiago.

    We decided to walk the Camino del Norte, which begins at the French border in Irun, Spain, and ends 500 miles later in Santiago de Compostela. It’s another of the old pilgrim paths, but because it follows the northern coastline of Spain, it’s also popular with tourists. With fewer pilgrims, the flavor might be a bit different. But I’ve promised John we’ll still stay in a few albergues so he still feels like he’s a pilgrim!

    Our training is done, our gear is spread out all over the guest bed... we’ll start walking two weeks from today!
    Read more