Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Day 2

    August 24, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Well, that was an amazing day of riding. Once we managed to escape from Bath, the roads were empty, wide and beautiful. We just followed the Fosse Way all the way to the A5 near Leicester. It was so hot though, whenever we stopped it was a job to get my gloves off my hands were so sweaty.

    We stopped at a lovely village after about an hour of riding called Moreton in the Marsh for breakfast, and bought a picnic to eat later for lunch, to try and conserve funds.

    We did 10 miles of motorway up the M69 and M1 then stopped for petrol at Leicester Forest East. £1.50 a litre!! We had ridden 112 miles since the last petrol stop. Jamie had used 6.35 litres, I used 9.95! But my bike is faster!

    We didn't want to get to our next air BnB too early so we stopped in Bawtry just south of Doncaster for lunch. We had a drink to cool down, then had a
    wander around the village and found a park to eat our picnic.

    Getting back to our bikes I couldn't find my keys for my panniers. Which had our bike jackets in, which had my bike key in the pocket. We really needed the keys. I almost walked back to retrace our steps, but luckily Jamie eventually found them in his pocket! A bit scary, not sure what we would have done if they were really lost!

    We arrived in Escrick at our gorgeous air BnB at 4:45, 230 miles and 8 hours after leaving Bath. We're staying with Judi who is super friendly and has made us feel completely at home. We had a walk around Queen Margaret's school to the Temple and back and through the village before stopping at the Black Bull pub for dinner, which is almost across the road from her house. The village is really pretty, surrounded by quiet and very flat country side and farm land.

    We got back at 9:00 just in time to watch Casualty with Judi and her gorgeous dogs. We would definitely recommend staying here if anyone needs accommodation near York.
    Read more