Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A visit to the Hanging Church

    January 8, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Saint Virgin Mary's Coptic Orthodox Church, also known as the Hanging Church, is one of the oldest churches in Egypt. It was probably built during the patriarchate of Isaac (690–692), though an earlier church building may have existed on the site as early as the 3rd or 4th century. The church was largely rebuilt by the Pope Abraham (975–978). It has seen many other restorations including an extensive repair and restoration of the church and its surroundings completed in 2011.

    The Hanging Church is so named because it was built above a gatehouse of the Roman fortress in Old Cairo. Its nave is suspended over a passage. The church is approached by twenty-nine steps. The land surface has risen by six metres since the Roman period, so the Roman tower is mostly buried below ground, reducing the visual impact of the church's elevated position.

    The design of the church is based on Noah's Ark with the barrel-vaulted roof representing the upturned hull of the ark. The church's interior is full of intricately carved wooden screens, bright stained glass, striking art, and religious icons.
    Read more