Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    A walk around Khan El Khalili

    January 8, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    From the Hanging Church, we drove to Khan el-Khalili, Cairo's famous souq.

    Ray took us for lunch in what he said was the best place for schwarma in the whole of the city. The food was OK, but I'm sure there is better! We were given a menu with tourist prices and ended up paying almost £20 for a couple of sandwiches, a water, and a Coke Zero! We were not overly impressed, either with the café, or with Ray for taking us there!

    After lunch, Ray gave us free time to explore the souq, advising us not to veer off the main drag. All I can say, is that it wasn't a patch on Istanbul or Marrakech! The stalls were mainly selling tourist tat. The stall holders were tame compared to other markets we've been to - we didn't feel hassled or pressured at all. I don't know if it was just the area Ray took us to. Perhaps there are other more authentic parts of the souq which we didn't see.

    We spent a pleasant hour wandering around. All we bought were some nuts - smoked cashews and salted pistachios. We settled on these after trying nearly every nut in the place!

    After the market, we returned to the hotel.
    Read more