Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    The Memorial Church of Moses, Mount Nebo

    January 22, 2023 in Jordan ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    From the mosaic workshop, we drove to Mount Nebo, an elevated ridge approximately 710 metres above sea level which is mentioned in the Bible as the place where Moses was granted a view of the Promised Land before his death. The view from the summit provides a panorama of the West Bank across the Jordan River valley. The city of Jericho is usually visible from the summit, and on a very clear day you can even see Jerusalem. It wasn't that clear today 😂.

    Although the Bible tells us that Moses' burial place is unknown, a monument on top of Mount Nebo commemorates his death. There is also a serpentine cross sculpture created by Italian artist Giovanni Fantoni. It is symbolic of the miracle of the bronze serpent invoked by Moses in the wilderness and the cross upon which Jesus was crucified.

    There has been a church ⛪ on Mount Nebo since the 4th century AD. It was modified and extended over the years before falling into disrepair. The ruins, complete with exquisite mosaic floors, were discovered in 1933. Their restoration was hampered by war and inertia. However, the important work finally went ahead and a complete new basilica was built over the ancient church between December 2007 and the reopening day on 15 October 2016.

    Today, for most visitors, the mosaics are the main attraction on Mount Nebo although it does remain a place of religious pilgrimage for many.
    Read more