Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    A visit to Greenway

    March 10, 2023 in England ⋅ ☁️ 6 °C

    Greenway was Agatha Christie's holiday home. She bought it for the princely sum of £6000 in 1938 and then spent many happy summers there with her family friends. She referred to it as 'the loveliest place in the world'.

    The original house on the site was a Tudor mansion built by the Gilbert family. In 1700, this was demolished by Harris Roope. He built the central section of Greenway House as we see it today. Several different owners expanded and improved the property over the years until Agatha bought it.

    Agatha had known and loved Greenway since she was a child. She had seen the house from the River Dart on boat trips with her mother and couldn't resist the opportunity to buy it when her agent advised her it was on the market.

    When she moved in, she was hounded by paparazzi taking photos of her and her family from boats on the river. She had to plant fast-growing trees, sacrificing her beloved views for the sake of her privacy.

    Agatha never wrote a single word at Greenway. It was purely a holiday home. She spent her time there shopping for antiques, playing games, reading, playing the piano 🎹, messing about on boats, and relaxing. She collected all manner of things - sewing stools, elaborate china, wooden boxes, pocket watches, stamp cases, and much more. 12,000 items from her eclectic collection are displayed in cupboards and cases at Greenway. The family didn't use the house for entertaining - visitors were limited to a small circle of relatives and close friends. Every summer, Agatha would bring her latest manuscript, which she would read to them, inviting them to guess whodunit! This book would be published in time for the Christmas market 😀.

    We loved our time at Greenway. The room stewards were so knowledgeable and enthusiastic. We learned so much about Agatha. The visit made we want to go away and reread all her books!!
    Read more