Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A spot of rum tasting!

    April 20, 2023 on the Seychelles ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    Last night's rain continued into this morning, so we changed our original idea, which was to have a beach day ⛱️ ! Instead, we sat on our balcony making plans for the rest of our time here. Mark listened to some podcasts, and I started to read the first of a series of books set in Africa that I have on my Kindle. We're both feeling really relaxed 😌 now! 😀

    Later, when the weather improved, we walked 10 minutes down the road to the island's biggest rum distillery, Takamaka. Very handy to have it on our doorstep! 😂🤣 We had a really interesting tour, followed by a tasting of their range of rums. We also met Taka and Maka, their resident Giant Aldabra tortoises. As we left through the shop, a bottle or two might have made their way into our backpack 🎒 🤔.

    After our visit, we popped to the local shop for some eggs 🥚and some coke (to go with the rum 😋). On our way back to the apartment, we intended to buy some lettuce from the same roadside vendor we bought some from on Tuesday. He was there on our way to the distillery, but he had packed up by the time we were heading back. I was disappointed, but we would have done without. However, I saw the guy and asked him if he had any lettuce left. Initially, he said no, but his friend said he had some. So, off he went to look. He was gone for ages. When he finally reappeared, he had two bags of lettuce. He was embarrassed because he thought they weren't fresh enough. I assured him that they would be fine. He didn't want to take any money for them, but I insisted! This is what we are finding all the time here - the people are so friendly and helpful, and don't expect anything in return!

    And the lettuce was lovely! We had a salad 🥗 tonight, and there's enough left for tomorrow 😀.
    Read more