Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    The sunset safari continues

    May 17, 2023 in Swaziland ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    During the first part of the drive, we saw impala and elephants.

    Later, Maxwell drove over to the section of the park where they house the lions. They have approximately 200. They also have a fenced off quarantine area where they currently have a male, a female, and three cubs who have recently arrived from Kruger. The idea is to introduce new blood to the park. We were lucky enough to see two male lions and a female. The males were eight-year-old twins. They were magnificent specimens. We sat quietly and watched them for several minutes. Another safari truck arrived. Unbelievably, one of the guest’s phones rang, and, even more unbelievably, he answered it! He was sitting there, chatting away! Why go on a safari and then take a phone call??

    After giving us time to take plenty of photos, Maxwell served us our sundowners – cider for me and beer for everyone else. It was lovely to sit there watching the sun go down, with a couple of lions in front of us and a huge male elephant behind.

    As we drove back to camp, Maxwell pointed out several birds, including a pair of Burchill’s Coucal, a Black-Bellied Bustard, and several Water Thick Knees. The latter sit on the road in front of the 4WD and leave it until the last moment to take off. They flap their wings in a rotary fashion, earning them the nickname ‘helicopter birds’.

    Back in camp, Ivan cooked up roast chicken, roast potatoes, vegetables, and spicy tomato salsa for dinner. Later, we sat around the camp fire playing a music quiz. My team (René, Kristina, Kurt, and myself) slaughtered the other team (Bryand, Cassie, Sydney, Mark, and Jez)!!
    Read more