Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    Sepupa Swamp Stop

    July 10, 2023 in Botswana ⋅ 🌬 14 °C

    We had about a two-hour drive to the attractively-named Swamp Stop, our campsite on the Okavango River. We weren’t staying there tonight. Instead, we had a couple of hours free time to sort out an overnight bag and use the internet before lunch. We also took the time to admire the river view and try to photograph the fast-moving vervet monkeys who were scampering around the site.

    After lunch, we helped to load a cargo boat with all of our tents, sleeping mats, food, and kitchen equipment. Laban and Henry set off to our island bush camp. Patrick stayed behind with the truck. We went in two boats with our local guides.

    The Okavango Delta is a vast inland delta. On 22 June 2014, it became the 1000th site to be officially inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List as one of the few interior delta systems that do not flow into a sea or ocean, with a wetland system that is largely intact. All the water reaching the delta is ultimately evaporated and transpired. Each year, about 11 cubic kilometres of water spreads over the 6,000–15,000 km2 area. Some flood waters drain into Lake Ngami. The delta was named as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Africa, which were officially declared on 11 February 2013 in Arusha, Tanzania.
    Read more