Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 106

    A local lunch and dancing

    August 20, 2023 in Tanzania ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    For lunch, we stopped at a family home. They had prepared a selection of local dishes for us, including a bean stew, boiled yams, stir-fried carrots and green peppers, roti, beef stew, and a dish of mashed bananas and potatoes. We had watermelon, bananas, and avocados for dessert. We also got to try the local beer, brewed from sugarcane, and the local gin, which they make by distilling the local beer! It smelled of rocket fuel and was rather potent, but didn’t taste too bad when mixed with ginger beer!! The food was all very good.

    After we’d eaten, the family sang, drummed, and danced. Obviously, we were encouraged to join in! I avoided it by being the official videographer of the group, and Mark assumed the role of photographer!

    Following lunch, the walk got tougher with lots of steep inclines and one particularly treacherous descent. I know I wasn’t the only one who was glad to be back at the campsite in one piece!

    We got back at around 2.45pm and caught the last few minutes of the Women’s World Cup Final. Unfortunately, England lost 1 – 0 to Spain. It’s still not coming home! 😂 After the match, we stayed in the bar on and off until dinner time, chatting to our fellow travellers and generally putting the world to rights.

    Dinner this evening was a tasty curried vegetable soup, followed by a very tough lamb stew served with spinach and fried potatoes. At the post-dinner briefing, we fed back to Nash that the walk was harder and longer than he had led us to believe and that he should have been more honest with us beforehand. I don’t feel that he took our comments particularly well!

    Later, we had coffee with Ibrahim and discussed his time with Intrepid and our overlanding experiences. It was a nice way to end the day.
    Read more