Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Crook Hall Gardens, Durham

    March 19 in England ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    Crook Hall is just a short walk from Durham city centre. The hall itself is Grade I listed and is considered one of the city’s most significant medieval domestic buildings. The oldest part of Crook Hall we see today was built by Peter del Croke in the first half of the 14th century. It's likely to have replaced an earlier building.

    Following the del Croke family residency, Crook Hall had a series of short-term tenants until 1372, when Alan de Billingham took ownership. The Billingham family remained connected to the hall for almost 300 years and were employed by the Bishops of Durham at various points during this time. It was Thomas Billingham who, in 1450, gave the natural spring known as Fram Well to the people of Durham as a clean water source.

    In 1667, Thomas Billingham sold Crook Hall to Christopher Mickleton, who passed it on to his son, James, a year later. James and his wife Frances made a series of changes to the hall, including a new wing and doorway.

    John Mickleton, grandson of James and Frances, sold Crook Hall in 1721. By 1736, it was in the hands of the Hopper family of Shincliffe. The Hoppers added the Georgian wing to the west end of the building, with good quality pine panelling, a fine staircase, and a stuccoed ceiling.

    Today, visitors come to see the beautiful gardens, rather than the hall itself. There are acres of interlinked gardens, each with its own character and style. We particularly enjoyed the walled garden, which is believed to be over 700 years old and was visited by William Wordsworth and John Ruskin, amongst many others. We were blessed with dry weather and the sight of lovely spring flowers as we walked around.
    Read more