Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    The Norman Chapel, Durham Castle

    March 19 in England ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    The Norman Chapel at Durham Castle is the oldest standing building in the city. It has 6 naturally iron-infused pillars that have extraordinary colours and patterns. On top of these pillars are handsomely carved stone capitals with an array of images including men stars, foliage, a stag, lions, a serpent, an ox, and a mermaid, thought to be the oldest depiction of such a creature in England, and perhaps the world. Recent research suggests that the carvings were perhaps intended to show where different people should stand during services - the ox represented the preacher, the men, the male members of the congregation, and the mermaid, the women.

    The Chapel was gradually swallowed up by other buildings over the castle's history. The entrance was blocked when the North Hall was built in the 12th century. It remained unused until 1840, when it became the site of a staircase that took the first university students to their accommodation in the keep.

    During World War II, the chapel was used as an RAF command post. In 1951, it was restored and reconstructed in memory of college staff and students who had lost their lives during the conflict.

    Today, the chapel is a vital part of the University College community, hosting regular services, concerts, art installations, and plays.
    Read more