Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 168

    Durham Castle

    March 19 in England ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    After our cathedral visit, we had planned to go back to the site and then return to Durham to visit the castle tomorrow. However, as we walked past the entrance to the castle, we saw a board saying that a tour was about to begin. So, we quickly bought our tickets and joined the group. It turned out to be a good decision - the tour was fascinating, and the sun even shone for a while 😀.

    The castle was commissioned by William the Conqueror in 1072 to defend against Scottish attacks and to exert his authority over rebellious locals. It soon became the seat of the Prince Bishops of Durham. These men were very powerful, second only to the king. They could mint their own coins, make laws, levy taxes, and recruit armies.

    The title continued with each bishop until the 1830s. The last Prince Bishop established Durham University in 1832 and gave the castle to be used as a college. This continues to the present day, making Durham Castle unique. It is a building that is almost 1000 years old and has not only survived but still thrives as a modern place of learning. It was incredible for us to discover that students today live in the ancient keep and eat their meals in the Great Hall!!
    Read more