Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Winding Down

    December 17, 2018 in Uruguay ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    All good things come to an end...that's part of what makes them "good things", right? On our last day in Montevideo, it rained most of the morning and we used the downtime to pack and visit with Juliana and Augusto, her "brother" from her host family. Then we took another long walk around town and on the Rambla (got to get those steps in!) and Ubur-ed over to the original and still used football stadium (built in 1930 in just 40 days in time for the first World Cup) and museum celebrating the world's favorite sport.

    OK, World Cup fans. Who scored the winning goal in the historic 1950 Uruguay-Brazil match? Did you guess Uruguay's Alcides Edgardo Ghiggia? He's another national hero.

    Tonight we head home. It's been a whirlwind 20 days for us. We're grateful we could make this once-in-a-lifetime trip. We appreciate so much Juliana's willingness to plan a really interesting Montevideo itinerary and keep an eye on her often out of synch grandparents.

    And we're so honored by all of you who took the time to read this, look at the photos, and include your comments.
    Read more