Satellite
Show on map
  • Billy The Kid meets Snow Plains

    October 23, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 75 °F

    We left Roswell somewhat reluctantly and told Carter to head towards White Sands National Park. I didn't plan this, guys, but we got to take part of the Billy The Kid Trail scenic byway to get there. You know how I love my scenic byways! It was an interesting look at Western lore along the way...plus we got to see the world's largest pistachio. What's not to like?!

    About 2 hours later, we could see something white in front of the mountains in the distance. As we got closer, it was amazing to see the blindingly white sands dunes rise up in front of us at White Sands NP.

    Michiganders: the dunes are pretty spectacular and I have to say leave Sleeping Bear Dunes in the proverbial dust. It was fun to see kids ride sleds down the sand that looks so much like snow. As the super-fine gypsum sand blows across the sand path, it so closely resembles a snow storm that it's hard to tell the difference. We enjoyed learning a bit more about dune life on the interpretive boardwalk. Sadly, we didn't get to see any dune creatures on this expedition.

    Off to Carlsbad next!
    Read more