Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 107

    Helsinki

    July 19, 2017 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Ok so we experienced the worst imaginable snoring last night.
    At about 4am Will finally lost his shit and yelled at him to shut up - he didn't even stir but other people in the dorm were still awake too because they made comment about the insane-ness.

    We were going to go on a 10am tour but there was no chance of that happening. At 7am Will haven't managed to get to sleep yet. THE ENTIRE DORM slept through until 1 😓 except the douche bag who thankfully checked out!!! 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼 he seriously shouldn't be allowed in dorms - Only private rooms.
    Because we missed the tour we didn't have a plan so we just went walking.
    Will wanted to try this chicken place so we went there for breakfast.
    We then went in a random direction and ended up in senate square next to the Helsinki Cathedral which is a massive white building - it would be hard to see in winter 😂
    It was nice to look at.
    We then walked down to the marina and strolled though the markets.
    I like Helsinki. It has a relaxed vibe and is spacious but still has character. It's boring as all hell but calm to be in.
    We had a look at the outside of the Uspenskin Cathedral.
    Again, nice to look at.
    We started walking home and walked past the presidents house - the flag wasn't there and their were no guards so he wasn't home. An average building at best but it had gold covered spiked along the fence which were fun haha.

    The city has a few mini parks to sit in with your standard statue, seats and a fountain - nothing to fancy but they add life to the city.
    A lot of the cities are blending into one... 😓 all I know is I do like Helsinki and Stockholm but not really Oslo.
    All were quite boring ( Helsinki doesn't even have museums) but there was something about Helsinki and Stockholm - I think maybe the water.

    I would love to venture up north in both Sweden and Finland just unfortunately there is little point in summer. maybe one day. We will hopefully get to Russia one day so maybe he can visit santas village then. 🙃

    We went back to the hostel for a toilet stop before we went and had a drink at the Wayne's coffee chain.
    I don't know why they are every where it was expensive and mediocre. You had to pay for the toilet and it had a stupid feature that made you check in on fb before you could use their internet. Smart marketing but annoying.
    Walked home and I crashed and had a 3 hour nap😆 we are doing well with beds atm. They have been really comfortable.

    Will woke me at 7 and we went first to buy shampoo and conditioner at the shops - dropped it home then went out for a Mexican dinner :)

    It was called iguanas - we got a jug of sangria and a burrito each. Will liked the burrito - I didn't but we both agree the sangria was probably the best we have ever had.
    We were discussing were we would go after the U.K. - I ended up emailing the Australian consulate in the Ukraine asking about entry requirements.
    It was only 60 odd euro to fly there from London which has Will super excited lol.
    We would only be going to Kiev though if we do go. Not silly enough to venture out. They have a security warning in place but so do most countries lol.
    Went home and finally showered with proper shampoo 😭😍
    Now in bed. I shouldn't be but I'm tied haha.

    I really miss Thaddeus.
    Read more