Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 248

    Rome

    December 7, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    We left at 7:30 and walked to the colosseum. Found our guide and were set up with head sets. We were the youngest by a significant amount. Probably because most people had to take out a second mortgage just to take the tour.

    Anyway,
    We set off with our guide and entered, but once inside we stood around for maybe 30 minutes which was annoying - we were waiting for the official colosseum guide but it was all very disorganized. While we awkwardly waited our main guide did her best to fill the awkward silence.
    I found a black cat but he didn't want pats. He took a nip hehehe

    Wait wait wait.
    Some dill on our tour bought a pram.

    Mainly Aussies with us.

    Our proper guide was great. She never stopped talking and told us some really cool stuff. We first went into the ground floor which was the stage. They have lost the stage over time.
    The area would have been covered in sand in Latin the sand was called harena - see the connection 😏) it helped absorb the blood.

    We entered through the gate that the losers left from. I didn't realise people got out of the arena alive. But it was also where the bodies went..

    She showed up one of the reconstructed trapdoors in the floor.

    When in use, entry to the colosseum was free.
    Nero, after the big fire built himself a little palace type thing and after he killed himself the lake was drained and the colosseum built where the residence stood. All propaganda crap to say hey we are giving back to the people. Another reason why tickets were free.

    It could fit 70,000 but be filled with in 15 minutes because of the 80 gates and organizational system.

    It's now just the skeleton. So many things have been destoryed or stolen/lost.

    It's full of holes because iron clamps were there inside making it earthquake proof but when abandoned they too were taken.

    We then went to the underground section which was what I was most excited for and really why we paid so much but it was pretty dodge.
    It essentially was just looking out at the middle from a different section, seeing how the trapdoor contraption worked from underneath and one corridor the gladiators used to enter the arena from. The tunnel leads the back the way to the gladiator barracks nearby which we saw later from a higher level.

    We then went back up. Definitely disappointed with that part of the tour even though our guide was great.. there just wasn't much to see and nowhere to go.

    Went back up to the second level and walked around the dome.
    It is bloody spectacular.
    110% gross and barbaric and yet it fascinates me so so much.
    I do like that they could fight for freedom even though the chance was like a sturdy 1%

    The animals fighting is also sad but I can just imaging the awe of the people who had never left Rome when they brought in an Elephant. It cost 2 million there money to import a singular animal.

    Games were actually not that common because they were so expensive. They were used to gain popularity and and on other special occasions.

    Politics really is as old as time.

    Slaves were also very expensive so they actually all had a semi chance. They had 6 months training before being put in the arena. Their "owners" didn't want to lose money so they didn't just buy then chuck them in.

    The corridor the gladiators walked down underneath was the most spine chilling. It was still In tact and the stone was the correct color - white. The outside has been dirtied from pollution.

    We had a look at the arch of Constantine which is the newest arch in Rome and a symbol of victory over some bloke.

    We left the colosseum and rejoined with our other guide.

    We walked into the Roman forum. It was incredible and I recognized a balcony I stood on from school.
    So essentially a crap tonne of ruins. It would have been truly marvelous.
    We walked past where Julius Caesar was cremated /where his altar is. It's a giant rock. Possibly a comet. Research more aye.
    There was plaque in Italian.

    Moving on to the temple of the vestal virgins.
    They had to remain pure for 30 years but were the only woman in Rome with rights. They actually had designated seating at the colosseum too.
    They were not property which was a different concept back then.
    If they had sex, they were buried alive. They have record of 20 woman who were.

    There temple was nice. A few statues stop around. Our guide had a cool book such had now and before photos to show what it would have looked like.

    We went up to a beautiful view point which really showed how much was there to see.

    Rome and Egypt are definitely my favourite historic eras.

    We then went up to Palatine hill.
    Rome has 7 hills.

    On Palantine hill in the palace of Domitican.
    It was the official residence of royal emperors.
    It's all ruins but in a few spots you can see the original coloring.
    Our guide poured water occasionally to show us the real colour of the stone underneath. It didn't look overly dirty but the difference was incredible.

    On the other side of the palace was the circus Maximus which is an old chariot racing stadium.
    I have very clear memories of stopping to see this in school but had no clue what it was or significance.
    I was actually thinking in my head I guess that oval wasn't important if it's not in this tour, Nek minute BAM. Haha

    We wandered around the ruins and then said our goodbye to our guide.
    I was bloody tired.
    While it was a great tour the price tag didn't match the quality.

    We went home and I had a mammoth sleep.
    We went out to diner next door and they gave us free champagne which I'll always accept even though I don't like it lol.

    We have packed and are ready for tomorrow.


    Forgot to mentions:

    Will got more bedbug bites at last hostel on his hand on the last day.
    Will dropped the toothpaste in the toilet
    Jess gets her puppy today and I am so excited.
    There are so many damn scooters
    Will says the peroni beers here are different and not as good.
    Read more