Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Kathmandu

    September 5, 2019 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Slept wonderfully and deeply.
    Will didn’t poor bugger so he was still shattered.
    Went down to the cafe downstairs to meet some people only it would seem Nepali time is similar to African time. After waiting a bit in walked the dude from last night who’s name I can’t say for the life of me and his wife, Kay - Scottish lady who is our medical liaison person. So she isn’t coming trekking with us but will man the phone and organise the rescue helicopters etc.
    We then met George - American who seems nice and later his I think Wife, Lucy arrived.
    Originally I thought she might be his daughter but then apparently it’s her birthday today and she is 49. Unsure if true or not. Will investigate.
    Lucy is a crack pot. Big fan. LOUUUUUD. She will Make the trek fun. We chatted for about 1.5 hours discussing nothing of real importance then we said bye and for on our way. We are all gonna do a day trip tomorrow so have to be ready by 9am again 🙄

    We headed towards the monkey temple known as Swayambhuna. The roads are mental. But it’s organized chaos? They have a system.
    If half a road is clear then you cross and wait for the next half to clear then cross that.
    You don’t wait for clear passage from both way - you will wait forever.
    The streets are super fun lol.
    People darting everywhere, carrying ridiculous loads of stuff.
    Dogs are everywhere but they are either asleep (great so I don’t have to ignore them) or happy with their friends.
    Lots of shops which I shall visit later 😬😬🤗🤗

    Took the most random path but eventually found it.
    Or rather the staircase with 70000 stairs leading up to the temple.

    Killed me 😂
    I wasn’t tired but my heart was racing. Altitude is fun lol.
    Cool Buddha statues along the way.

    Monkeys Were darting about - the babies are very cute.

    It was 200 rupees each - got a ticket for my book - thrilled lol.

    The views were lovely.
    2 people wanted pictures with us?

    I like the eyes on the white dome thing. Got told names of things but honestly, they talk like you have prior knowledge so it’s not helpful.

    The Nepalese people are pests. Will got himself into a tour guide situation. Idiot. I walked away from the chat a lot but Will didn’t get the message so on tour we went 🙄

    The guy did not get the hint to GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY PHOTOGRAPHS.
    Trying to take photos and he does move?

    He took us into some hidey hole with stone Buddha shit and went through the 5 somethings
    He was very animated and imitated them all.
    When he got the meditation he closed his eyes and sat there for a whole minute.
    Me and Will were doing shifty eyes at each other - hilarious.
    He showed us the different element shrines. Is water, fire, wind, earth etc

    I got to ring a bell and we both spun the twisty bell things.

    He gave us Buddha’s history. What a load of crap.
    Apparently didn’t eat for 6 years.
    Lies lol.
    Be different if he was claiming to be a God but he wasn’t.. just a dude you know?
    Some other lady in some story had 500 babies.
    Me don’t thinks so.

    He took us to a lovely painting shop where we got given a look and info on all the painting types. Didn tip ha ha. Fuckerssss.
    I would go back and buy from there if it wasn’t for the stairs though hahah

    I gave our guy a Outfuckingragous tip. $40 or something. Bad conversation maths by me and pressure ha.

    🤦🏼‍♀️

    We walked back down the monster staircase and Will used what he claims is the most disgusting toilet of his life. Big call. 200 years worth of unwiped urine.

    We walked to Dunbar square. Dunbar means royal.
    Has a big ass palace. Not overly fancy looking, I think the temples are nicer - just a big white building really. We saw a rooftop cafe and walked up to have a drink and get a view of the area.
    There is a crap tone of construction going on because of the 2015 earthquake which destroyed so so much. So there was lots of scaffold everywhere.
    Safety standards are non existent 😂 they just be balancing on a pole 😂

    We had some fried rice which we learned they eat with tomato sauce here.

    There were school children playing in the square which was nice to watch. The kids all wear school uniforms which doesn’t match the derelict city.

    There were 2 random cows literally lying down like dogs in the square. Just chilling. Living their best life.

    Lots of temples. They all look the same but are all beautiful. A lot of intricate detailing.

    Some shrine monster dude super cute. Loved him.

    People pretending to be tour guides are such PESTS.

    We walked home and had an amazing nap.

    So tired.

    We went out to dinner and I didn’t really like the food but I haven’t been that hungry so didn’t bother me lol. Nice just watching the city.
    Had a sign coming up though “probably the best steak in Kathmandu” 😂😂
    Honesty.

    And back to bed ❤️
    Read more