Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 234

    Rhode Island H3 #1904

    August 22, 2022 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    I have been sucked into the happy vortex of hashing here in New England. While hashing in New Hampshire on Saturday, I was alerted to the Beantown City H3 running back down in Cambridge, Massachusetts on Sunday. While running with them, I was reminded that the Rhode Island H3 runs on Monday, so I took a look and saw that it was less than an hour away. After getting my weekly laundry cycle completed this morning, I was off to Rhode Island. After a streak of seven consecutive hash runs with clubs I had never run with before, the streak was broken today. I ran with this hash three years ago, about 2 weeks before my open heart surgery. Obviously, it is great to still be vertical, and able to run here again. My streak of consecutive DIFFERENT hash clubs lives on though, having now run with 13 clubs without repeat, and still have more to add on.

    Getting back to today’s trail in Rhode Island . . . it had been raining all day, after enjoying the past couple weeks of beautiful sunny skies. About two hours before trail it was tapering off, and hour before trail started, the rain had stopped. So things were looking up. A pack of 9 gathered in Diamond Hill Park in the north-eastern corner of the state to enjoy a Mr. Rogers (our hare) trail. From the looks of the park, we were anticipating a fun shiggy trail.

    Unfortunately, the skies were beginning to darken, and after a quick chalk talk, we were off. Within 5 minutes the rain started again, and continued to gain in intensity until any marks on horizontal surfaces were completely gone, and the vertical marks were fading.

    As the marks disappeared, the pack eventually clustered up again, and fortunately the hare was along for the ride and guided us through trail . . . not THE trail mind you, just along various trails as best he could remember, until we got to the whiskey check, which we picked up and continued on to gather with the rest of the pack at the beer stop. All 9 of us were together once again, and by this point, the rain was just pissing down on us like a cow pissing on a flat rock. We were drenched, and for some odd reason, we just stood there in the rain for like 10 minutes as we all chatted while a couple beers were being consumed. Finally, the absurdity of it all finally dawn on our hare, who then led us back down the hill to the cars. This is what the previously dry trail looked like at this point . . . https://www.facebook.com/reel/1127392637851333

    By the time we reached the parking lot once again, the rain had subsided, and we regrouped and grabbed the cooler for circle. Soaking wet, we went through all the usual infractions, we sang some songs, and laughed at what had taken place. Fortunately it was a warm enough day that the rain was enjoyable, and the whole trail event was a hoot. Great time hashing in Rhode Island. A few of us went on for dinner at a local speakeasy, and all was right in the world. On On to the next trail with the Halve Mein H3 on Wednesday.
    Read more