Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 160

    Loading up for lots of hash trails

    June 9, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Arrived early Tuesday morning, and spent the first day sleeping since I did not sleep on the flight from Germany.

    Wednesday was:

    Bangkok Harriettes #2113

    The sky was mostly overcast, with an occasional ray of sunshine breaking through. We met at the edge of Lumphini Park for a casual Wednesday evening trek through the city. After the pack of about 15 or so gathered, we were off on trail. All was well for at least the first 500 meters until we hit the first check, and that’s where things got dicey . . . shit happens on the hash sometimes. Not going to get into the details, but most of us eventually found paper again headed in the direction we were already going, until we hit an area that has been used many times for trail, including earlier this week, and we were warned we would be crossing trail . . . and we did, and . . . it was a bit unclear after that.

    Most of us eventually found trail again and made it to the finish of this projected 8 K trail (I only found about 6 k unfortunately). Two hours passed before the DFL finally turned up at the On-In, just in time to get circle started. Circle was uneventful, but fun, and as usual when I return to Bangkok, I get the Tits of the Week award (for having traveled through 21 countries on all 7 continents over the past year) accompanied by the customary down down steel. Circle concluded in short order, and we recessed into the restaurant for dinner . . . and just in time too. It was not long before we heard some light pings on the roof, and started seeing flashes outside . . . and as they say in Blackpool . . . THE RAINS CAME DOWN!

    Thursday was:

    Bangkok Thursday H3 #405

    It was another overcast evening, but the rain held off this time. We had an excellent trail from an old friend, PMS, who I have known for over 30 years reaching all the way back to when I was in Hawaii the first time, running with the Honolulu Hawaii H3 (H5). PMS made good use of the park to start us out, but we eventually found our way out and into the local city streets, alleys, and hidden pathways, for a fun night time 7 Km trail.

    It is still hot and humid, so developing a thirst is done far too easily. We had a nice and short circle, followed by an excellent fare of Thai food (my favorite). And a few quick goodbyes and it was back out into the night for a nice after dinner walk back to the hotel. Another grand day in Bangkok . . . I should move here someday.
    Read more