Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    All Aboard

    September 24, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Hello everyone,

    We finally launched on our canal boat yesterday afternoon. ( Saturday). To begin with I have to modify my comments about Toulouse. I was voted down by the group when they read what I wrote. I was told that those who ventured further from the train station thought the town was very pretty and quite interesting. I guess I didn't get far enough from the train station. So don't be put off by my limited, jet-lagged opinion.

    We really enjoyed Castelnaudry. Our B&B proprietor drove our luggage right to the boat launch area where we were able to store it while wandering about on Saturday. We visited a very well stocked wine shop and the cheerful fellow kindly agreed to close his shop and drive the 2 cases of wine to the boat launch for 430. Next we had a leisurely French style lunch and then hit the grocery store for provisions. A friendly British couple drove our groceries to the dock. So everyone has helped us along the way.

    We got an extensive briefing from the boat company - it is a very large operation . There was a lot of paper work and a trial run on the boat.I didn't learn how to drive it, which is a relief because I'm not overly keen on driving this beast and also somebody had to meet the wine merchant at 430, priorities!!

    Our first locks last night were a bit shaky . We all tried to pitch in with ropes etc but Jiggs is our Captain and he had the most stressful job. The boat is very long and unruly. Jiggs has to thread it through low, narrow bridge arches. Trying to get used to the thrusters and wheel were a real challenge for him and no one else has been brave enough to try their hand. When we finally stopped for our first night, Jiggs was more than ready for a couple of beer. We all applauded his tremendous efforts and I am proud to say that none of the crew was heard yelling - "there goes our damage deposit". Although, Steph did mention after one heavier bump - don't worry, it will buff out.
    Today Jiggs has figured out that using the wheel oversteers and he is using the jog stick.so less stress for him.

    We all have our jobs: Helen is on board operations as she is the only person conversant with the pumps, She had all sorts of intelligent questions about grey water and black water tanks. Fiona is our navigation officer - planning the route - although you either go out to the Med or back, there are other decisions about locks, stops and distances. Mike as always is trying to handle our bikes and IT. although there is not much to do for IT as the WiFi simply doesn't work. Mike also restocks the beer fridge. Mac seems to be taking the lead with on shore operations. Hoping off in locks. Steph has scoped out the restaurants and is keeping the wine stocked and cool.

    We had charcuterie and cheese and local rose wines last night. It was a lovely warm evening on a very peaceful part of the canal. At least it was until we showed up.

    Today we hit a few more locks and took a break at the town of Bram where we got our bikes out for a ride.They are a bit low like clown bikes but we won't be doing any long distance biking. They'll be fine for short tours into the villages .
    Fiona assures me as I'm writing this that our Carcassonne ETA is 545.
    More to follow from there.
    Mom, I'll send more information about the boat since you asked. In summary, the inside spaces are tight, but couple of us showered this am and it wasn't bad at all. You just have to find a place for everything and keep it there.

    Hope all is well at home,
    Love Heather xx
    Read more