Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Bus-sels to Brussels

    August 27, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We took a FlixBus from Eindhoven to Brussels, following Paul's recommendation, which turned out to be a good choice. It was super affordable, and the journey lasted only 2-3 hours. We passed the time with podcasts, downloaded TV shows, writing FindPenguins entries, and snacking. We’ve never forgotten to bring snacks or water on any of our long-haul trips (thank god), and our typical snack choices include cashews, muesli bars, and sometimes a bit of chocolate or Haribo. We might also grab a supermarket sandwich or wrap for lunch (I’m writing this down so I remember the little details for later). The bus route took us through Antwerp, passing farmlands adorned with many, many wind turbines.

    We arrived in Brussels around noon and strolled to our Airbnb, which offered a convenient baggage storage area for our main bags. Our Airbnb was a cool apartment located in the heart of the charming French part of the city on Rue du Jardin des Olives. It was just a few doors down from the Church of Notre-Dame de Bon Secours, nestled in a corner of the city that was lively without being overly noisy. We noticed that the main street leading to the Bourse de Brussels area was a bit busier and commercial, so we were thankful for our cozy spot tucked away from the hustle and bustle.

    We roamed the local area in search of lunch options, but given the odd timing between lunch and dinner hours many were closing, we so settled on Café Le Fontainas, a laid-back café and bar right across from the church near our Airbnb—the first place we had spotted. A friendly gentleman behind the bar served us coffee and managed to squeeze in one of the last lunch orders from the kitchen. We initially ordered two shakshouka dishes with meatballs, but due to the kitchen running out, we substituted one meal with lasagna. It was one of those situations where we thought we were getting just whatever was available, but it turned out to be a delightful experience. The food was so, soooo good.

    After lunch we’d killed so much time with lunch -very French- it allowed us to check in to our Airbnb, a few doors down from the restaurant. Our studio-style apartment on the second floor had charming flower pots in the windows, timber framing and offered plenty of space. Having a kitchenette was a bonus, so after some rest, we ventured out again to pick up groceries.

    During our walk, we stumbled upon a Percussion Festival taking place during the weekend of our visit. We followed the rhythmic beats of drums down the main street, admiring the many comic book murals along the way. It was fascinating to see both French and Flemish languages prevalent throughout the city, with bilingual road signs and even the fruit and vegetable weighing machine at the supermarket offering a choice of either language.

    After preparing and enjoying dinner, we decided to catch a movie, "Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One," at Vikum's request—it was on the eve of his birthday. Tom Cruise with French subtitles.
    Read more