Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Coastal retreat in Sète

    September 9, 2023 in France ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Our time in Sète was been a blend of relaxation and healing. I unfortunately couldn't escape the grasp of a relentless cold and spent a full day cocooned in blankets, binge-watching "The Office" and napping. Vikum did the kind work of cooking, and taking care of things while my health improved.

    When I began to feel a bit better, we took gentle strolls along the canals, admiring the boats drifting lazily in the water. Evenings were dedicated to home-cooked meals and enjoying the air-con. It was a forced but comforting respite from any potential travel-weariness. The timing of the sickness was, in one way, serendipitous as we avoided watching the Rugby World Cup opening ceremony and the All Blacks vs France game at a bar surrounded by Frenchmen (a positive given the outcome of that match: a significant loss for the All Blacks).

    In the midst of my recovery, we messaged with family as well as friends, like Paul and Myra, who were also travelling The Netherlands in a campervan. This was a homely comfort that was much appreciated while being sick in a foreign country. As my cold slowly receded, we used the opportunity to bus out to the beach (Plage du Lido/Plage Baleine), where we had our first swim in the Mediterranean Sea. I loved it, of course, but Vikum was seriously hooked. From Sète onwards, Vikum has taken every possible opportunity to swim I think. The sun's warmth at the beach was therapeutic, and we savoured ice cream and treats to ease the self-pity from sickness. Though, truth be told, it wasn't all that hard to endure. After all, where else would you want to be when you're feeling under the weather but in the South of France. I can’t tell you how thankful I was to be by the beach and in the comfort of an air-conditioned apartment during this time!
    Read more