Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Aguas Calientes, Cusco PARTY, Pisac

    June 19, 2022 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 52 °F

    Aguas Calientes is also known as Machu Picchu town. It's touristy, but I enjoyed it because it was clean and reminded me of the same kind of vibe as US mountain tourist town.

    Cusco is celebrating ALL month in June with parties, parades, fireworks, singing. Saturday night was a big celebration - not sure if it was Cusco's birthday or what, but the Plaza was PACKED. We read 80,000 people. It was insane and a little scary when the crowd was pushing everyone so hard (not to mention not very Covid-friendly!!!). But it was also pretty fun, with everyone in celebratory mood. The next morning we went to 8:00am Mass in the cathedral...and they were celebrating once again in the square so that it was hard to hear the priest at times. It sounded like cannon or fireworks, loudspeakers and music. We came out and it was the same thing as last week - a bunch of older guys in suits marching military style as someone announced them. One of the groups had a sign that said 1978. So I have no idea what it was all about!

    Then on to Pisac for the day Sunday, which has fantastic Incan ruins and one of the best artisan markets in the Sacred Valley. This was the trip with the dang collectivo! And now a couple more days in Cusco before returning home!
    Read more