Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Uppsala

    August 23, 2022 in Sweden ⋅ ☁️ 57 °F

    We flew into Arlanda airport, which is halfway between Stockholm and Uppsala, a mid-size university town. I guess you could call it the Swedish Madison. We decided to stay here since we have a train pass and we've spent time in Stockholm before. It was a great choice since it is such a lovely town without all of the hustle and bustle of Stockholm. And everything is cheaper too. Uppsala is the home to Anders Celcius (of the temperature fame), Carol Linnaeus, (the father of taxonomy), and Norse gods (Woden, Thor., etc....) At least that's what the legend says. We spent Thors Day morning at Gamla Uppsala, the Old Uppsala just north of town to hike around the large burial mounds. This is where ancient vikings would gather for the Thing, or grand council to work things out. And to bury some high falutin people before building some large mounds on top. There was a nice museum on the site and an amazing buffet restaurant at an old mead house.

    Later, we enjoyed a picnic in the park near the river Fyris while some live music was playing in the background. Deanne found a bar that had a rockabilly band playing and we spent a late evening out watching them.

    More photos and vids are here https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z1ADqamgdwQtdqrbA
    Read more